Saturday 27 October 2012

What a week..

Oh my goodness.. you know how sometimes you just have those weeks where you would like to fast forward in x16 mode? Well I feel like I have had a couple of those weeks :)
Levi (21months) has been sick with an unknown bug (unknown bugs bug me the most!!). We went to the doc with this limp lethargic boy, who was off his food and just so flat.. but nothing discernible wrong. What a pain! Poor wee boy. Thankfully he seems to be picking up and becoming himself again. Aviya (5weeks) is settling into a routine of sorts which is lovely! And she's started smiling (yay!!)
So now that she is not so new have been thinking again about routines.. hmm. With Levi, routines were the bane of my existence. I read the books before he was born and had all these expectations, like that I would be able to know when he would be awake and asleep on any given day.. and that he would be sleeping through the night by 6 weeks. Oh boy did I think WRONG! And not meeting my expectations I set for myself made me stressed and feel like I was failing. What I know now that I didn't know then, is that by definition, newborns are unpredictable creatures. You think you have them sussed and then they change. For my personality this is a hard feature to come to terms with. I like predictability and order. So my journey of motherhood so far has been about learning to relax and take each day as it comes. BUT now I have a new newborn.. I didnt have any expectations about order or sleep etc. And consequently life has been a lot more relaxed. She's slept in the bed with us and she's been out when she's "supposed" to be having a nap (gasp). So why do you ask am I thinking about routines again? Well I still like order and I still want sleep :) haha. But in reality she is in a routine and what I really want is a baby who is adaptable, and who will sleep in her bassinet and not our bed. So am re-reading the books to achieve this more achievable goal. I just dont really like the crying and all the conflicting emotions that go on in my head about the crying. Some books say that leaving your kid to cry is cruel, and will emotionally damage them. Other books say leave them to cry, we all cried and we turned out ok. I sit in the let them cry camp.. that is until they cry and then I crumble and fold.So ths week is about teaching her (within reason) to sleep in her bassinet during the day.
Also other more fun goal for this week is to do some newborn photos. So watch this space for some cute newborn photos :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment