Thursday 1 November 2012

Church musings..

Its a long one sorry.. :)

Was at church woman's group today (aka Couch) and we were talking about celebrations. We had our church's yearly Celebration Sunday the Sunday just been. Today we talked about things we celebrate and what a celebration means. Obviously there is the normal things like Christmas and birthdays etc. But in Exodus the Israelites celebrated HEAPS of stuff.. and they celebrated every year and retold the story of what God had done for them. If we focus on the good stuff.. and celebrate the good stuff then when crappy stuff happens its not so much of a big deal.
Made me think about my own life.. Stevo has been cancer free now for 3.5years (I had to ask Stevo cause I forgot how many years). When we got the news that he was cancer free (after chemo and surgery) we had a celebratory dinner and thanked God for what he had done. But since then we haven't. It made me think.. what if? What if, every year we set aside time to celebrate and thank God for what he did. If we spent time telling our children what happened, it would firstly help our faith to build, but also surely would help our kids faith build.
Also made me think about Christmas. Christmas has almost become a celebration that I dread a little. Its complicated with families and trying to think about presents and decorations and trying to stop Levi eating the decorations :).. I just get tired thinking about it! But man.. I am so thinking wrong! We should be creating a legacy of thanks giving and celebration of what Jesus did! So have given myself a slap on the wrist and will be rectifying this!
And finally.. one of the ladies was talking about how, when her first 2 kids were little she was finding that she was waking up and going through the motions of the day. She was finding her kids draining etc. Then after reading in the bible it says that children are a blessing from the Lord.. she prayed and asked God to change her thinking. To help make them the joy that they are supposed to be.. she now has 4 kids (and wants more) and LOVES being a mum. I think I have fallen into this trap. I love my kids like crazy, dont get me wrong, and obviously it is going to be full on being a mum sometimes with 2 young kids to chase after and lack of sleep, regular showers and hot meals. But I find that I wake up in the morning counting the hours till nap time and then bed time... just surviving the day and collapsing into bed to repeat the day again. I'm not stopping to smell the roses and enjoy these gorgeous creatures I have growing up in front of my eyes. I need to change my thinking!

On other not so spiritual news..
I have been mad baking! Some may even call me the baking queen :) Its Stevos birthday tomorrow.. and since he really doesnt want a present (how can someone not want ANYTHING??!!) I decided to make him a really yummy birthday cake. So have been making a mammoth, seriously gigantic 6 layer cheese cake/chocolate cake. Hopefully it tastes yummy and doesn't clog his arteries too much. Also made some cupcakes and sultana loaf. Yum yum yumm!! (although think I cooked the sultana loaf too long.. boo!) So bed early for me tonight... I am sleepy! Will put some photos up of the giant cake once its finished :)

3 comments:

  1. Love it...not too long at all;) I also love the way things were remembered and passed down in biblical times...I can definitely see purpose to the 'thanksgiving' that North Americans celebrate also. The cool thing about having a young family is you get to start your own traditions...including remembering what God has done in our lives:) I am inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I love that your creativity in baking has not decreased, even with two little ones to care for...looking forward to seeing the pictures:)

      Delete
  2. Totally agree with Kylie.. The beauty of having young kidlets is you get to create your own family traditions to make things special. I can't wait to do that with our family, then when they are older they can look back with fondness at those special traditions and hopefully do it with their family.

    Here's a thought.. why don't you put up your Christmas tree early this year to extend the Christmas season?! I'm putting mine up the weekend we arrive.. can't wait! :)

    ReplyDelete